As we start Black History Month, I definitely want us to be mindful to shop Black and eat Black as much as we can: not just this month but definitely all year and any time that you want. Take this month find a new Black business to patronize.
I and The Black Blogger Clique, a collective of Houston area Black female food bloggers, are sponsoring a BLACK challenge, like BINGO, encouraging you to patronize 25 Black owned restaurants this month. We will have giveaways and prizes so make sure you are following Black Blogger Clique on Instagram for the latest news and highlights as we play our version of “BINGO”. This list is not all inclusive but definitely a starting point. I haven’t eaten everywhere on the list but I’m definitely shooting for them. Print out the picture and play along. Make sure you’re following me on IG (Bits.N.Bites) and Facebook (Bits n Bites).. Post your pictures on IG and tag Black Blogger Clique , the business you patronized and your thoughts on what you tried. Below are the items that I’ve had at several of the establishments on Card. As I knock off places on my card, I’ll update my list.
- Neyows Creole Cafe: This New Orleans outpost has been open since December, 2018 in Southwest Houston. You should definitely try the Bow Wow drink. It is not for the faint of heart but you will need to eat something to offset the drink. My suggestions are below:
- French Fry House: Located off Ennis in the Historic 3rd ward district, this pick up spot has a laundry list of french fries with all types of toppings as well as other specialty items like Boudin Egg Rolls. I loved the Bayou Fries: french fries topped with shrimp, crawfish etouffee sauce and finished with shredded cheese and green onions. You definitely want to share with a friend.
- Cool Runnings Jamaican Grill: This southwest side Jamaican restaurant is always a winner. They’ve also been featured on Food Channel’s Diners, Drive Ins, & Dives. I love the Curry Goat, however there are plenty of good items. I could simply eat the veggies and plantains all day, er’day.
- Doberman’s Bar & Grille: A new local bar in the Washington Corridor area serving a creative style of bar food including the Fried Avocado which is such a warm creamy crunchy way of eating avocado, but also Cauliflower tacos which are so dope. You’ll see there are even your regulars bar items like quesadillas, french fries, and sliders.
- The Turkey Leg Hut: We’ve heard the hype and we’ve seen the lines but the turkey legs are definitely great. There are a variety of options like the Dirty Rice stuffed Turkey leg that I absolutely can get behind. There’s even a Hennesy glazed one for those that are not into the stuffed turkey legs. Make sure you also try the drinks include that gigantic Moscow Mule.
- Lindiana’s Southern Vegan Kitchen: The Vegan Waffles are pretty amazing and definitely don’t taste like I missed something. I am not vegan so I was hella impressed with The Burger. Don’t get me wrong, plenty of people have Vegan Burgers on their menu but this one tasted totally like a burger, and last I checked, this isn’t made with the Impossible burger meat, which HIGHLY impressed me. I’m also in love with the buffalo cauliflower. Call in your order when you go here! I think the waffles are only available on Sundays for brunch but call and check!
- EaDeaux’s Cajun Cocina: HBCU grads have created a great food truck fusing their love of The Bayou State cuisine and putting a Tex-Mex flair on it. I try to find them on Mondays at The Davenport, cause after a double shot drink or two I need something to get me home, and their boudin nachos definitely hit the spot. They also have traditional nachos with a dope cheese queso as well. They’re also located in Eado next to the EaDo Hand Car Wash — so you can grab some grub while you wait for your car to be completed.
- Catfish Station: Who doesn’t love fried catfish? Welp, I’m still trying to figure out why I don’t like my catfish any other way than fried? I loved the fried catfish and shrimp here at Catfish Station. You can order a snack size (2 fish, 2 shrimp with fries) or a Combo Plate with 4 fish and 4 shrimp. The house made remoulade sauce is great and the dirty rice is good– a little spicy for my taste- but I ate through that spice. I didn’t care. Check them out in several locations across the city
- Stuff’d Wings: I found these wings prior to their brick and mortar location. I just happened to be coming out of HEB and I was hungry and I saw this black and white food truck in the back of the parking lot. I pulled up and thought oh, hell yeah, let’s try some stuffed chicken wings. They have several different types of stuffed wings and when I say stuffed, they are stuffed: meaning I bite into it and see the STUFF! They take a little while to prepare but it’s chicken and nobody wants under cooked chicken. They are definitely worth the minimal fry time.
10. Sugar Rush Cake Gallery: While I’ve tried to Peach Cobbler at Sugar Rush, I don’t have a picture. My recommendation is to definitely go to the one off of 610 and Stella Link, which is the original location. I mean that is some good old crust and sweet juice with those peaches..oh lawd, just go try it.
- Print the BLACK Card
- Follow Black Blogger Clique on IG,
- Make sure you tag Black Blogger Clique, Bits.N.Bites and the restaurant in your pics as you post them on IG.
- Stay tuned to Black Blogger Clique for giveaways during the month!